“We’ve redesigned our form, our sales have gone down and we’ve got no idea why.”
This is what one business owner told me recently when we met to demonstrate how Formisimo’s advanced analytics could solve his form conundrum.
In this article, I explore how detailed form scrutiny provides far greater insight than standard website analysis.
Drop-Off Analysis Difficulties
Understanding when, where and why people are leaving your form is critical to improving your conversion rate. But in forms with only one step this can be challenging. General website analysis often only reveals basic information, like drop-off between steps, making it impossible to tell which specific field is causing problems.
Source: MDQ Digital
For forms with more than one field, it is possible to set up step-by-step analysis. However, this can be tricky, it takes time and if you don’t get it right you could end up producing inaccurate results that lead you to make the wrong form adjustments.
Regardless of the number of steps in your form, the lack of detailed field analysis leads form designers to guess where problems exist. This can result in a lot of time and effort being wasted ‘fixing’ fields that are not actually problematic. Worse still, it’s possible that the field causing drop-off is fixed last or not at all causing continued drop-off and a lack of form optimisation.
Website Analysis Shouldn’t Be a Guessing Game
There are so many challenges with a lack of hard form data.
Let’s say your conversion rate is down. This could be happening for many reasons like asking for information people don’t want to supply.
One of our clients used our reporting to reveal problems with their submit button and one of the drop down fields. By making three minor changes in these areas – amending the button text, removing additional calls to action and making explanatory text clearer – the organisation produced two design variants. Each was tested using Formisimo to reveal the best performing approach which produced a 57% increase in form conversions.
Analysing their form using a standard website analysis platform would not have revealed the problems caused by this specific field. They could only do this by using Formimso to understand where in the form users got to before exiting.
Having analysed thousands of forms, we can confidently say that there are some common causes of form drop-off that include:
- Length – too many fields are one of the leading causes of form abandonment
- Account creation – forcing shoppers to create an account before completing their purchase lead to a 30% drop-off in one study.
- Mobile compatibility – if your form fails to adjust to different devices it’s much harder for users to complete your form. Having to scroll to read a question or enter data is certain to put many people off.
- Lack of clear instructions – when people aren’t sure about completing a field they often give up and leave feeling annoyed or defeated.
- Using the wrong kind of fields – radio buttons are generally better than drop down menus and tick boxes depending on the data you need to capture. Get the field wrong and you could be making online form filling more difficult than it needs to be.
While it’s possible to identify potential problems like these, you will only know which apply to your form by conducting a full and detailed analysis. In the next section we explore how Formimsio helps you identify where your form challenges are.
Formisimo Lifts the Lid on Every Detail
Understanding the weak elements of your form is key to being able to optimise its performance.
Formisimo has been designed with the ability to evaluate your form in granular detail. You won’t have to guess which fields are causing problems within a particular form step.
With hard data on every part of the form that allows a user to interact, including tick boxes, fields, steps and buttons – you’ll benefit from the insight generated by thousands of data points. Without this level of detail, you’re in the dark about the performance of your form.
The following three steps are the typical process followed by our customers to gain detailed insight into their online forms.
Step One – Form Analysis
Formisimo comes set up and ready to go and it’s easy to use and highly intuitive. All of which saves you time and provides you with accurate data so you can quickly identify the elements of your form that are causing most problems.
Start by deciding on a sufficient period of time to secure a suitable sample size. This will enable Formisimo to gather data on user behaviour and provide meaningful insight including:
- Capturing every form field event – screen recording software might look pretty but it doesn’t capture every keypress, click, focus, blur and all the other data points that Formisimo does.
- User progression – our funnel analysis tool allows you to identify how users move through your form from visitor to starter to drop-off or completion.
- Timebound analysis – data can be captured and assessed over a specific period of time to develop more meaningful results.
Step Two – Plan and Optimise
Now you’ve run your in-depth form analytics, you need to decide what to do first based on the weaknesses and opportunities your analysis has revealed. Formisimo provides:
- Manageable data analysis – on average, we capture 1,200 data points for a single form visitor. This data is mined and presented as 59 highly interpretable metrics.
- Visual representations of this data – our platform provides graphs and charts to present the findings in an easy-to-read format.
- Prioritised actions – Our traffic light system flags those form problems that need tackling first. And your account manager is on hand to help you predict the ROI from your changes. You can sense-check your results by comparing the health of each of your form fields with those in your industry.
Step Three – Testing, Analysis and Results
As you change your form you’ll need to test the outcomes and Formisimo is designed to help you do this. With effective A/B testing capability, you’ll be able to see which approaches work best so you can optimise your form in full confidence that your efforts will pay dividends.
If you’re happy with the results move on to the next form item you want to change and repeat. Formismo will continue to provide the detailed data that will help you move your form forward.
Online forms require more than basic website analysis to reveal the challenges your users face. Formisimo provides the granular analytics you need to be able to take focussed and swift action to optimise your form and close out the bottom of your sales funnel.
Improving Insurance Forms Reviewing the top 31 insurance forms